November 9, 2010
SAW components: Miniaturized GPS filter for use in automobiles (TDK-EPC Corporation)
TDK-EPC, a group company of the TDK Corporation, presents the EPCOS B4300 GPS filter – the first in a new series of miniaturized SAW filters. The GPS filter is certified to AEC-Q200 and thus the smallest in the world (case size 1.4 x 1.1 mm²) that satisfies the rigorous requirements for use in automotive electronics. In addition to its compact dimensions, this component is distinguished by excellent electrical properties. These include a very low insertion loss of 1 dB with simultaneously high attenuation values in the stop band. For interference sources in the frequency range of mobile phones, these reach 45 to 50 dB.
The high miniaturization of the new GPS filter was achieved by the use of CSSP® technology (chip-sized SAW packaging). CSSP was originally developed for mobile phone applications and has now been further optimized to satisfy the very high reliability requirements of the automotive industry. The new B4300 GPS filter is pin-compatible with existing variants for mobile phones. This simplifies the task facing developers to adapt existing GPS mobile phone solutions to automotive applications.
The new GPS filter is the first representative of a new series of SAW filters for an increasing number of telematics applications in automobiles. These include navigation with the use of GPS, Galileo and GLONASS as well as mobile telephony based on systems such as GSM, CDMA and W-CDMA for voice and data transmission. The new series will in future be extended by types for all the usual frequency bands and comprise not only discrete filters, but also 2-in-1 filters and diplexers based on the optimized CSSP package technology.
- AEC: The Automotive Electronics Council has defined test criteria for electronic components in automotive electronics since 1992. AEC-Q200 applies to passive components.
- Galileo: The European satellite navigation system for precise global positioning is similar to GPS and GLONASS. However, unlike GPS and GLONASS, Galileo is not subject to any military control.
- GLONASS: Globalnaja Nawigazionnaja Sputnikowaja Sistema is the satellite navigation system operated by the Russian Federation.
- GPS: The Global Positioning System is a global satellite navigation system for providing reliable location and time information. GPS has become established as the world’s most important positioning technique and is used widely in navigation systems.
- Telematics applications in automobiles such as navigation with the use of GPS, Galileo and GLONASS as well as mobile telephony based on systems such as GSM, CDMA and W-CDMA for voice and data transmission.
Main features and benefits
- Certified to AEC-Q200
- Highly miniaturized case size (1.4 x 1.1 mm)
|Dimensions [mm]||1.4 x 1.1|
|Insertion loss [dB]||1 dB|
|Stop-band attenuation [dB]||45 to 50 dB|
About TDK-EPC Corporation
TDK-EPC Corporation (TDK-EPC), a TDK group company, is a leading manufacturer of electronic components, modules and systems headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. TDK-EPC has emerged from the combination of the electronic components business of TDK and the EPCOS Group and markets its products under the product brands, TDK and EPCOS.
The product portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites and inductors, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors. With this product spectrum TDK-EPC offers a broad range of products and solutions of outstanding value from a single source and focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and automotive, industrial and consumer electronics. The company has design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America.
For further information on this product contact EPCOS Sales at www.epcos.de/inquiry
Please forward reader inquiries to:
Fax +49 89 636-22471