November 19, 2009
SMD disk varistors: Sample kit with varistors for transient voltage suppression up to 385 volts (TDK-EPC Corporation)
TDK-EPC, a group company of TDK Corporation, presents a new sample kit with EPCOS SMD CU varistors. The electrical parameters of these CTVS (ceramic transient voltage suppression) components correspond to the leaded disk varistors of the proven EPCOS series SIOV-S05 in case size 3225 and SIOV-S07 in case size 4032.
The varistors contained in the sample kit cover a voltage range from 16 to 385 V DC and are designed for surge currents of between 100 and 1200 A and a standard pulse of 8/20 µs. Depending on the type, a maximum energy of between 2200 and 23,000 mJ can be absorbed for 2 ms. The components have a maximum AC operating voltage exceeding 130 VRMS and thus satisfy the requirements of UL and CSA. All CU varistors in the sample kit are RoHS-compatible and can be operated at temperatures of up to 85 °C without derating.
In addition to the standard series for industrial and consumer electronics, the sample kit also contains special series for automotive electronics and telecommunications applications. Data sheets, application examples as well as additional information are available on an enclosed
- Varistor: a voltage-dependent resistor (VDR) that changes over from a non-conducting to a conducting state at a defined voltage.
- RoHS: Restriction of Hazardous Substances. This EU Directive has been regulating the use of specific substances in electrical and electronics equipment since 2003.
- UL: Underwriters Laboratories is an organization established in the USA in 1894 in order to evaluate and certify products and their safety.
- CSA: the Canadian Standards Association is a non-governmental organization that develops standards and evaluates/certifies products for their safety.
- Overvoltage protection in industrial, consumer, automotive and IT-electronics equipment
Main features and benefits
- High surge-current capability up to 1200 A
- Bidirectional overvoltage protection
- Suitable for lead-free soldering
- Special series for automotive electronics and telecommunications applications
- UL and CSA approval
|Operating voltage V DC [V]||85 to 385||125||16|
|Surge-current capability 8/20 µs [A]||400 to 1200||1200||100 to 250|
|Maximum absorbable energy 2 ms [mJ]||2200 to 23 000||7600||12 J/10 pulses|
About TDK-EPC Corporation
TDK-EPC Corporation (TDK-EPC), a TDK group company, is a leading manufacturer of electronic components, modules and systems headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. TDK-EPC has emerged from the combination of the electronic components business of TDK and the EPCOS Group and markets its products under the product brands, TDK and EPCOS.
The product portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites and inductors, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors. With this product spectrum TDK-EPC offers a broad range of products and solutions of outstanding value from a single source and focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and automotive, industrial and consumer electronics. The company has design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America.
Further information on the products can be found at www.epcos.com/ctvs
Please forward reader inquiries to:
Fax +49 89 636-22471