November 9, 2010
Inductors: High Q transponder coils (TDK-EPC Corporation)
TDK-EPC, a group company of the TDK Corporation, presents a new EPCOS transponder coil, whose quality factor (Q) is about 10 percent higher than that of standard versions, giving it an improved coupling factor. As transponder coils are used mainly in remote keyless entry and tire pressure monitoring systems, they must exhibit extreme mechanical ruggedness. Accordingly, these transponder coils can withstand a drop test from a height of one meter onto a concrete floor 1000 times without sustaining any damage.
The new components (B82450H2364A000) offer a high Q factor of greater than 55 at 2.36 mH and are suitable for a broad temperature range from -40 to +125 °C. The transponder coils are qualified to AEC-Q200, are RoHS-compatible and permit lead-free soldering to JEDEC J-STD 020C. Thanks to their compact dimensions of 11.4 x 3.5 x 2.4 mm3, they are suitable for pick-and-place assembly as well as automatic optical inspection (AOI).
In addition to these XY types, TDK-EPC also offers Z transponder coils. A combination of both types allows reliable passive entry passive start (PEPS) systems to be implemented. 3D transponder coils that combine an XY and a Z transponder coil in a single package are currently in preparation. They can be used to implement highly space-saving applications.
- Quality factor: a dimensionless parameter that describes the performance of an inductor. The quality factor, designated as Q, is the ratio of reactance to resistance at a specific frequency. The higher the quality factor of an inductor, the higher is its performance.
- JEDEC: Joint Electron Devices Engineering Council. This standardization committee includes in its brief the definition of quality standards with test specifications.
- Remote-keyless-entry (RKE) and tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) as well as passive entry passive start (PEPS) systems.
Main features and benefits
- About 10 percent higher Q and thus an improved coupling factor
- High Q factor of >55 at 2.36 mH
- Qualified to AEC-Q200
- RoHS-compatible and permits lead-free soldering to JEDEC J-STD 020C
About TDK-EPC Corporation
TDK-EPC Corporation (TDK-EPC), a TDK group company, is a leading manufacturer of electronic components, modules and systems headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. TDK-EPC has emerged from the combination of the electronic components business of TDK and the EPCOS Group and markets its products under the product brands, TDK and EPCOS.
The product portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites and inductors, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors. With this product spectrum TDK-EPC offers a broad range of products and solutions of outstanding value from a single source and focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and automotive, industrial and consumer electronics. The company has design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America.
Further information on the products can be found under www.epcos.com/transponder
Please forward reader inquiries to:
Fax +49 89 636-22471