Multilayer ceramic chip capacitors
0603 (EIA 0201) MLCCs enable high-density mounting
TDK Corporation has developed the CJA series of TDK SRCT capacitors in case size 0603 (EIA 0201). Compared to existing multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCCs) of the same case size, the mounting footprint has been reduced by 50 percent. In this TDK-developed design with bottom terminals, a solder resist prevents wetting of the face and side areas of the MLCCs with solder. This allows the clearance between mounted components to be reduced to 50 µm or less, permitting high-density mounting. The risk of short circuits due to contact with the solder is simultaneously excluded. Thanks to the 50 percent reduction in mounting footprint, the number of components on a given surface can be doubled. Mass production will start in April 2013.
The new capacitors are designed for small mobile devices like smartphones and decoupling applications in small modules. They are designed for a rated voltage of 6.3 V and offer capacitance values of 0.1 µF to 1.0 µF.
In future, the new coating technology will be expanded to MLCCs of case size 0402 (EIA 01005), in order to provide additional space saving advantages.
* As of December 2012, according to TDK investigation
- SRCT: solder resist coated termination – terminals partially coated with solder resist
Solder resist: a resin used as an insulating film to protect the circuits on a printed circuit board
- Decoupling of IC power supply leads for smartphones and small modules
Main features and benefits
- Mounting footprint reduced by 50 percent
- TDK design with bottom terminals allows high mounting density in case size 0603
- A component of size 0603 can be used on a mounting area of size 0402
- Allows higher capacitance values than for capacitors of case size 0402
|CJA0603 series||0.6 x 0.3 x 0.3||6.3||0.1 to 1.0||X5R|