MKP high density series expanded
TDK Corporation has expanded the high density series of EPCOS MKP film capacitors with two new voltage classes. The B32774* to B32778* series of DC link film capacitors are now available for rated voltages of 575 V DC and 900 V DC. Altogether the series cover rated voltages of 450 V DC, 575 V DC (new), 800 V DC, 900 V DC (new), 1100 V DC, and 1300 V DC. The capacitors offer capacitance values ranging from 1.0 μF to 110 μF and are designed for operating temperatures of up to 105 °C. Thanks to their low ESR values of down to less than 2.0 mΩ, they feature a current capability of up to 20 ARMS at 70 °C and 10 kHz. The capacitors exhibit minimal capacitance drift over the entire operating life of 200,000 hours. The MKP capacitors are self-healing, which significantly reduces the risk of failure even in the event of peaks and overvoltages.
The new voltages provide additional flexibility to circuit designers. The specifications can now be met more accurately with the smallest possible component and reduced cost without sacrificing reliability.
Due to their very good electrical characteristics the EPCOS MKP high density series is suitable for use in DC link and DC filtering functions in power converters. Thanks to their long operating lives the capacitors can be used in applications with high demands on reliability. Examples are power supplies in industrial electronics such as photovoltaic inverters, x-ray equipment, LED street lighting, induction cooktops, or charging devices.
The capacitors are available with a lead spacing of 27.5 mm to 52.5 mm for PCB mounting. In addition to the conventional 2 pin designs, 4 pin designs offer enhanced mechanical stability against shocks and vibration so that the capacitors can be used in automotive electronics applications as well.
- MKP: metallized polypropylene; the capacitor winding consists of a metallized polypropylene foil (dielectric) that is just a few µm thick.
- Self-healing: dielectric breakdown induced by overvoltages causes a local vaporization of the metallization so that the capacitor remains functional.
- DC link capacitors in power supplies and frequency converters with high demands on reliability
- Film capacitors in switch-mode power supplies
Main features and benefits
- Broad range of rated voltages from 450 V DC to 1300 V DC
- Low ESR values of down to >2,0 mΩ
- High current capability of up to 20 ARMS
- Long operating life of 200,000 h
- 4-pin designs available with enhanced mechanical stability