Multilayer type in 0603 with world’s highest Q
TDK Corporation has expanded its portfolio of MHQ-P high Q multilayer inductors with the miniature MHQ0603P in case size IEC 0603. Measuring just 0.65 mm x 0.35 mm x 0.35 mm, the new inductor features the highest Q factor for any multilayer inductor of its size* and is suitable for RF applications such as smartphones, tablet PCs and other mobile devices. Mass production began in July 2013.
The typical Q factor of the 3.9 nH type is 35 at 1 GHz. This value is as good as a comparable, but more expensive, wirewound inductor and 25 percent higher than TDK’s existing MLG0603W inductor. The high Q factor and small dimensions achieved by the MHQ0603P multilayer inductor are a result of TDK’s advanced materials technology and innovations in the internal structure of the inductor. This enables the electrodes to be produced with a smoother surface, which raises the component’s Q factor and lowers the dielectric constant, thus delivering a higher self-resonant frequency.
Thanks to its miniature size and high Q, the new MHQ0603P is designed to make RF circuits in multifunctional devices such as smartphones and tablet PCs more efficient. The new MHQ0603P inductors join the existing components in case size 1005 to form an even more versatile lineup of high Q multilayer inductors.
* As of July 2013, according to TDK data
- Q: the Q (quality) factor of an inductor is the ratio of its inductive reactance to its resistance at a given frequency, and is a measure of its efficiency. The higher the Q factor of the inductor, the closer it approaches the behavior of an ideal, lossless inductor.
- Smartphones, tablet PCs, Bluetooth and WLAN devices
- RF circuits and modules for mobile communication devices, including PAs, VCOs, and front-end modules
Main features and benefits
- High Q factor contributes to reduced losses in RF circuits
- Enables both cost-effective and high-performance RF circuits by offering the performance of a wirewound inductor with similar inductance and Q factor at a lower component cost
- Space-saving dimensions of 0.65 mm x 0.35 mm x 0.35 mm
|Q factor||Self-resonant frequency|
|MHQ0603P||0.6 to 39||Typ. 30 to 40 (1 GHz)|
Min. 14 to 16 (500 MHz)
|1.6 to 10|
|0.07 to 2.8|
|160 to 1000|